Thyroid is the gland which is present at the front of the neck beneath the larynx. Thyroid can’t be felt through our skin. It has two lobes which are connected with a thin piece of tissue named “the isthmus”. The thyroid makes hormones which are thyroid hormone and calcitonin. Four or more tiny parathyroid glands are present at the back of the thyroids which make the parathyroid hormone. This hormone plays an important role to maintain the level of calcium in our body.
Formation of Thyroid Cancer
Normal thyroid cells grow which further divide to form new cells as our body needs them. New cells take place when they become old or get damaged. When this process goes wrong; thyroid cancer forms. New cells form when the body doesn’t need them and the old and damaged cells don’t die. The process of building extra cells causes the thyroid cancer. It may be sometimes become the threat of life. They can invade nearby tissues and organs and can also spread to the other parts of the body. It can be removed often but sometimes it returns.
Types of Thyroid Cancer
Following are the types of thyroid cancer.
- Papillary thyroid cancer is the most common type of thyroid cancer in USA. Out of 100 people 86 are suffering from it.
- Most people with this cancer can be cured if it is diagnosed early. Follicular thyroid cancer is the second most common type of thyroid cancer. Out of 100 people 9 are suffering from this type of thyroid cancer.
- It begins in follicular cells and usually grows slowly. If it is diagnosed early it can be treated successfully.
- Medullary thyroid cancer is not common. Out of 100 people 2 are suffering from it. It begins in C cell and it can cause abnormally high level of calcitonin.
- It tends to grow slowly. It can easily be control and treated if it is found before it spreads to other parts of the body. Anaplastic thyroid cancer is the least common type of thyroid cancer. Out of 100 people only 1 is suffering from this type of thyroid cancer.
- Most people with this cancer are older than 60. It begins in follicular cells of thyroid. It tends to grow and it spreads very quickly. It is very hard to control.
Doctors recommend following tests so that thyroid cancer can easily be cured. Firstly physical examination is necessary. Doctors feel the thyroid for lumps and he also checks your neck and nearby lymph nodes for the growth and swelling. After that doctors recommend for the blood test to check the abnormal levels of thyroid stimulating hormone(TSH) in the blood. The thyroid doesn’t work properly if the quantity of TSH is too much or too little. Then doctor suggests for the ultra sound, thyroid scan and biopsy. The treatment of thyroid cancer includes surgery, thyroid hormone treatment, radioactive iodine therapy, external radiation therapy and chemotherapy. Most people having thyroid cancer are suggested for a surgery. The surgeon may remove all the thyroids or only removes a lobe. After surgery patient takes the pills to replace the natural thyroid hormone. After the treatment the person have to need regular checkups after every year. It may also return after the treatment.
After knowing that you have thyroid cancer the life changes which can be hard to handle. The family members and friends need to co operate with the patient and give him courage that this disease can be cure easily. We should treat politely with him and should answer to his question about the disease. He also needs emotional support and we should be concern about his feelings.